Current Job Openings
In Defense of Animals (IDA), an international animal rights and protection organization, is seeking an experienced Communications Officer.
The mission of IDA is to protect the rights, welfare, and habitats of animals. IDA’s efforts include educational outreach, cruelty investigations, advocacy, and hands-on rescue. Through IDA’s chimpanzee sanctuary in Cameroon, Africa, veterinary clinics in Mumbai, India, and a 64-acre sanctuary for abused and abandoned animals in rural Mississippi, IDA’s work on behalf of animals spans the globe.
Position title: Communications Officer
Location: San Rafael, CA or Remote
Department: Communications Department
Reporting to: Communications Director
Term of employment: Regular, part-time (with the potential to increase to full-time)
Salary: DOE with benefits
IDA is seeking a dedicated Communications Officer. The Communications Officer must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and a strong knowledge of the animal protection field.
The Communications Officer writes, edits, and proofreads text for a variety of projects. He/She guides and executes all phases of the production of IDA alerts and eNews, including solicitation of ideas, scheduling, planning, assigning, editing, formatting, and launching (distribution). This position also writes, edits, and distributes news releases, while developing targeted distribution lists. IDA utilizes Convio and Cisionpoint software platforms, and the Communications Officer should ideally be fluent in these or very adept at quickly mastering new software.
- Write, edit, solicit and compile ideas for weekly eNews, action alerts, and sample advocacy letters
- Schedule, design, format, launch eNews, alerts, and advocacy letters in Convio; guide process of distributing same to members
- Share duty of managing Convio including reporting, list changes, target group creation
- Write and edit news releases
- List building and distribution of news releases in Cision
- Write/edit/prepare online donation appeals and donation forms in collaboration with the Development Dept.
- Other writing/editing projects as requested including letters to editor, PSAs, magazine articles
- Write/edit copy for web pages, blogs, brochures, flyers, leaflets, marketing and promotion materials
- Draft, edit, and proof-read newsletter and related content
- Perform other duties as may be assigned and required
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Solid computer skills including internet, Convio, Cisionpoint, MS Office Suite (Word, Excel and Outlook), and Google Applications
- Ability to work well within a team environment and individually
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of the animal protection movement
- Passion for the mission of the organization and knowledge of animal rights and animal welfare issues
Employment Experience and Education
- A minimum of four years progressive experience in communications
- Relevant college degree (Associate, BA or BS) or equivalent, directly relevant experience is preferred.
How to Apply
To apply please use job code “COMOF” in subject line of email. Submit resume, cover letter and two writing samples by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following in your cover letter: your qualifications for the position, a specific explanation of your interest in joining IDA, where/how you found out about this career opportunity, and your salary requirement. Please, no phone calls. Open until filled. In the alternative, materials can be sent to:
Attn: Human Resources
3010 Kerner Blvd.
San Rafael, CA 94901
In Defense of Animals is an equal opportunity employer.
Major Gifts Officer (pdf)
In Defense of Animals (IDA), an international animal protection and advocacy organization, is seeking a Major Gifts Officer. The mission of IDA is to defend the rights, welfare, and habitats of animals. From rescuing, giving sanctuary, and providing veterinary care to abused and abandoned animals in rural Mississippi; to chimpanzee victims of the bush meat trade in Cameroon, Africa; to street animals of Mumbai, India; to fighting the South Korean dog and cat meat trade; protecting our nation’s wild horses; campaigning against the industries of puppy mills, vivisection, and fur; to our campaign on behalf of elephants in zoos and circuses; IDA is a recognized leader in the advancement of animal rights and welfare around the world.