Event (general description):
- Event date:
- Meet-up time:
- Media time:
- Meet-up location:
- Event location/address:
Prior to the event
- Choose a location.
- Once you have chosen a location, you should check with the local police to learn whether or not permits are required for the event you planned.
- If you plan to use a megaphone, ask about the applicable regulations.
- Spread the word! Create a Facebook event page, post your event on other social media outlets and blogs, ask IDA to sent out an activist alert, tell your friends.
- Gather leaflets, if necessary order more.
- Create or obtain talking points about your topic.
- Designate a media spokesperson. Make sure your spokesperson knows the talking points well.
- Make signs. Use some preprinted and others handmade. Mount the preprinted signs onto poster board to make them more durable. Avoid attaching sticks to signs, as laws regulating these may impact you.
- Always ask activists to be present at least 15 minutes before the media. Remind your fellow activists to dress nicely.
- Assign tasks to activists (people to wear the costumes, people to hold banners and posters, people to leaflet, people to lead chants, someone to safeguard any surplus signs and materials, etc.)
- Draft and send a media release to your local media outlets, or ask IDA to do this for you.
Day of the event
- Call your local media outlets the morning of your event to remind them to come out.
- Remember to bring all of your literature to hand out, posters, banners, costumes, a camera, etc.
- Remind all participants to be polite and professional at all times.
- Take lots of good photos! Make sure to get a mix of close-ups, group shots, and shots of activists interacting with civilians.
- Make sure to inspect the area and clean up any trash or debris that may have been a result of the demo.
- Designate activists to pick up newspapers and other print media that covered the event.
- Designate activists to record TV news coverage.
- Please send a copy of any media coverage you get to IDA
- Please also send your event photos to IDA. We will post the best photos on our website, in eNews, and/or on Facebook.