March 28th, 2013 by Anja Heister
Stop The Deer Slaughter In Rock Creek Park
We need YOU to protest the killing of
Rock Creek Park deer in Washington, D.C.!
In a surprise move, the National Park Service announced late yesterday afternoon that it would begin killing 120 deer in Rock Creek National Park over the next four days! The killing is scheduled to take place each night between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m. Practically tame and pregnant deer will be lured to piles of apples and grain where they will be mowed down with bullets and arrows!
Please join us for an emergency protest rally and vigil.
When: TONIGHT – Thursday, March 28 – and every night through March 30 – starting at 5 p.m. (Please note the start time of the rally has changed to 5 p.m. each evening)
Where: We will meet at the “Rock Creek Park” sign located in a triangle of grass at the corner of Military Road, NW, where it intersects with Oregon Ave and Glover Rd., NW.
For more info about these demos: Mary Rowse (202) 329-0095 or Anne Barton: (202) 441-2667.
For more info about IDA’s efforts to help the deer: Anja Heister: email@example.com, (406) 544-5727.
- Warm clothes (hats and gloves)
- Signs or sheets spray-painted with a message of your choice (for example, “SHAME”, “NATIONAL PARK SERVICE SHAME,” “BIRTH CONTROL – NOT BULLETS,” “DON’T KILL THE DEER,” “DEER KILLING TONIGHT,” “BIRTH CONTROL FOR DEER – NOT KILLING.”
- If you bring sheets signs, please be sure they are mounted on long poles as they will flutter in the breeze if they are not mounted
- Noisemakers, such as pots and pans and loud radios to try to alert the deer
- Cameras and video cameras
- Bull horns
Rock Creek Park roads that will be closed each night for the kill are: Beach Drive north of Broad Branch Rd., Ross Drive, Wise Rd., Grant Rd., Sherrill Drive, Joyce Road, Morrow Drive, and Bingham Rd., NW.
Invasive plant species are reducing the native vegetation in the park, not the deer. The deer are not starving! The Park Service told the public that it would only kill deer in the fall and winter – and it is now spring. In addition, the Park Service told the public it had no money to mount a deer kill this season. The National Park Service lied on both counts and betrayed the deer and the public.
Thank you for your support of the Rock Creek Park deer.