September 14th, 2011 by Webmaster
It’s back-to-school time and parents all over the country are looking over hot lunch menus and shaking their heads in disbelief. Today’s school lunches are notoriously unhealthy and if you are raising your children in a vegan home… well, all those hamburgers and “fish nuggets” will make you shudder. That means sending your littlest loved ones to school with lunches that they will actually want to eat and won’t trade away. Kids raised on a vegetarian diet have an amazing advantage: a lower risk of the obesity, cancer, heart disease, and other health problems that will plague their meat and dairy-eating peers as they grow older. These days it is easier than ever to raise kids who are healthy and care about animals.
With vegan alternatives to deli slices and cheese available in most grocery stores, it doesn’t take much to recreate the classic sandwiches. Let’s not forget that the most beloved of childhood sandwiches, Peanut Butter and Jelly, is already vegan. Here are just a few products to check out:
- Torfurky Deli Slices
- Lightlife Deli Slices
- Lightlife Smart Bacon and Smoked Tempeh (makes great BLTs)
- Baked Tofu
- Sheese (it’s a hard vegan cheese you can pack with crackers)
- Eco-Planet Non-Dairy Cheese Crackers (they’re like a vegan version of those cheddar goldfish crackers)
- Late July Organic Peanut Butter Bite Size Sandwich Crackers
- Granola or Snack Bars
- Tofutti Slices
- Pretzels (many of the brands out there are vegan – as always you might just need read a few labels)
Don’t forget all those fresh fruits and veggies that nature has already made sweet like apples and pineapple slices or ‘kid-sized’ like cherry tomatoes and baby carrots. Healthy and happy kids need those more than anything!
New to veganism? Click here to order a Vegan Starter Kit.