May 28th, 2013 by Anja Heister
The following information was provided by IDA partner, Project Bobcat
California Alert for Bobcats
Tuesday, May 28th: One-Day phone blast to ‘Swing Vote’ CA Assembly Members
If you are in any of the “swing vote” districts, please call your assembly member TODAY and request that s/he supports AB 1213.
As amended, AB 1213, The Bobcat Protection Act has cleared the appropriations committee last week and will likely get a floor vote this week. The gist of the current bill is:
· prohibits at the start of the year trapping in the area around Joshua Tree NP
· directs the Commission to similarly prohibit trapping in and around all other parks and preserves in the state at its next rulemaking (2014-2015 season)
· prohibits trapping on private property without owner permission
· directs the Commission to increase trapping license fees to cover the costs of the program.
· The bill no longer requires a new population survey or management plan (deemed too expensive to pass). So at its core it is now a parks and private lands protection bill (although the increased license fee will probably mean a reduction in the number of trappers in the state). The bill text can be read here.
Note that all assembly members should be phoned to make them aware of AB 1213. Please find your representative at this link and phone asking them to support the Bobcat Protection Act.
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP PASS AB 1213 THROUGH THE FULL ASSEMBLY:
· Swing votes that should be targeted are Republican Jeff Gorell (LA) and eight Dems: Salas, Eggman, Quirk-Silva, Frazier, Gray, Bonilla, Brown, and Perea. WE NEED THESE ‘SWING VOTE’ MEMBERS CALLED ON TUESDAY, MAY 28TH FROM ALL PARTS OF THE STATE—ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE IN THEIR HOME DISTRICTS. Please phone their offices (see below), ask each how they plan to vote and suggest that we expect them to vote for AB 1213 to pass as well.
· Please keep in mind that t is far better to spend your energy trying to round up friends/relatives who live in the swing districts to make the calls than to do them yourselves as constituents matter the most to the assembly members. If you are calling yourself be short, polite, let them know you are from the area most affected by the bill and urge them to vote for it. We want people to feel pressure from within their district, and interest and support from outside, but not annoy them. In contrast, for Nestande since he is our rep, be as forceful and persistent as you feel appropriate until/unless you get a definitive confirmation from his office that he will vote for it.
CA Assembly Member ‘Swing Vote’ Target Phone Numbers to call at their Sacramento offices:
SUSAN BONILLA (D, District 14) PH: (916) 319-2014
North and central portions of Contra Costa County and southern portion of Solano County
CHERYL BROWN (D, District 47) PH: (916) 319-2047
San Bernardino, Rialto, Fontana, Colton, Grand Terrace, Bloomington, and Muscoy
SUSAN EGGMAN (D, District 13) PH: (916) 319-2013
San Joaquin Delta communities of Stockton, Tracy, Thornton and Mountain House
JIM FRAZIER (D, District 11) PH: (916) 319-2011
Oakley, Pittsburg, Brentwood, Rio Vista, Fairfield, Antioch, Vacaville, and Isleton
ADAM GRAY (D, District 21) PH: (916) 319-2021
Merced County and parts of Stanislaus County including parts of Modesto and the communities of Ceres, Newman and Patterson
HENRY PEREA (D, District 31) PH: (916) 319-2031
Caruthers, Coalinga, Firebaugh, Fowler, Huron, Kingsburg, Kerman, Laton, Lanare, Mendota, Orange Cove, Parlier, Riverdale, Reedley, Sanger, San Joaquin, Selma and the city of Fresno
SHARON QUIRK-SILVA (D, District 65) PH: (916) 319-2065
Fullerton, Anaheim, Buena Park, Hawaiian Gardens, Cypress, La Palma and Stanton
RUDY SALAS (D, District 32) PH: (916) 319-2032
City of Bakersfield, Hanford, Corcoran, Delano, Lemoore, Shafter, Wasco and the communities of Armona, Avenal, Kettleman City, Lamont, Lost Hills, Stratford and Weedpatch
JEFF GORELL (R, District 44) PH: (916) 319-2044
Camarillo, Casa Conejo, Channel Islands Beach, El Rio, Lake Sherwood, Moorpark, Oak Park, Oxnard, Port Hueneme, Santa Rosa Valley, Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village
IN ADDITION, JOSHUA TREE AND MORONGO BASIN RESIDENTS NEED TO PHONE BRIAN NESTANDE’S OFFICE ON TUESDAY, 5/28.Please phone his office, ask him how he is going to vote and suggest that we expect him to vote for it as well.
BRIAN NESTANDE (R, District 42)
PH: (916) 319-2042