Are Your Animal Friends Ready for July 4th?
While we might enjoy a brilliant fireworks display, the loud noise is often terrifying for our beloved companion animals. Every year during this holiday, there is an estimated 30% increase in lost animals around the country, as reported by animal control officers. The saddest part is that only about 14% are reunited with their loving families. That means that the majority of lost animals never make it home. Don't let this happen to your best friends!
The best thing you can do is to be prepared. Depending on where you live, fireworks may be legal for purchase and detonation by private citizens, and people can start setting them off days in advance, or the city you live in may plan its celebration on an earlier day. Be aware of when fireworks tend to start being heard in your area, and make plans for your animal companions in advance.
Simple Fireworks Safety Tips for Animals
1. Keep your animals safe and secure inside your home: A frightened animal will jump over or dig under a fence to escape.
2. Close blinds and curtains to block bright bursts of fireworks: Leave a light on so your animal isn’t alone in the dark.
3. Play soothing music to help drown out the loud booms: Consider some calm piano music or your favorite yoga playlist. You can also create white noise by turning on a fan, air conditioner, or the TV. If there is a more soundproof part of the house, like the basement or an inner room, consider moving your animal there.
4. Update your animal’s information. No matter what day of the year, make sure your animal is microchipped and your address and phone number are current. Animals should also wear a collar with physical identification (their name and your phone number). If your animal is lost, these important safety precautions can help ensure they find their way home to you.
5. Understand that normally calm and well behaved animals can become spooked and irrational, and behave in ways you can’t predict.
Have a safe and happy 4th of July holiday from everyone at In Defense of Animals!