MEDIA RELEASE: Triple Gander Slander Citations Issued to Urbana-Champaign for Goose Slaughter
URBANA, Ill. (November 12, 2021) — In Defense of Animals condemns the ruthless massacre of a reported 73 geese on Saturday, November 6 adjacent to Beringer Commons, and other cruel goose slaughters approved in the region by the City of Urbana and Champaign County. The National Goose Protection Coalition has issued three Gander Slander citations to the Beringer Commons HOA, the City of Urbana, and Champaign County for goose cruelty. Unless habitat modifications are made, this endless cycle of killing geese will continue at taxpayers expense.
The region’s laundry list of repeated goose offenses is long:
- On July 17, 2021, a postal worker sped up and charged into a gosling who was walking with her family across the road at Beringer Circle and Beacon Hill Circle in Beringer Commons. Sadly, the gosling was later euthanized by a veterinarian due to extensive painful injuries.
- On June 29, 2021, Beringer Commons HOA funded the brutal massacre of over 160 innocent geese and goslings, in the face of public outcry by residents and over 12,000 In Defense of Animals supporters.
- On June 22, 2020, the Urbana Park District arranged the massacre of 175 geese and goslings who lived at Crystal Lake Park, despite overwhelming opposition by local activists and thousands of In Defense of Animals supporters.
- In October of 2020, hunters shot and killed over 75 geese and goslings near Beringer Commons despite an Urbana city ordinance that prohibits the shooting of firearms within the city limits.
In the above incidents, geese were shot or gassed to death, the latter of which is an especially cruel method of execution for waterfowl who can hold their breath for long periods of time and suffer an excruciating death.
“What happened to the Beringer Commons geese is heart wrenching — especially since nonlethal measures are readily available,” said Lisa Levinson, Campaigns Director at In Defense of Animals.
“Beringer Commons, Urbana, and Champaign could create a comprehensive plan to humanely reduce the goose population without lethal measures. That’s why our National Goose Protection Coalition issued triple Gander Slander citations. Compassion must be a guiding principle for decisions related to the wellbeing of geese, who are our wild animal neighbors.”
Lethal goose slaughters are ultimately ineffective and cost residents more money than humane solutions. Without habitat modifications, new geese flock to the area, resulting in repeated annual killings and expense. In Defense of Animals strongly encourages the Beringer Commons HOA, the City of Urbana, and Champaign County to immediately enact the following humane strategies to coexist with resident geese:
- Restore habitat, plant taller grasses, and use FlightTurf® (a native seed product which naturally deters geese and ticks)
- Create a “tolerance zone” for geese away from human activities
- Relocate young resident geese to areas with migratory geese so they learn to migrate, a strategy employed in Salt Lake City, Utah
- Purchase sweeper machines or hire employees to remove goose feces with minimal investment
- Try new egg oiling methods, like leaving one or two eggs un-oiled so geese won’t reproduce again in the same season
- Combine sonic repellents and herd dogs
- Allow local predators to deter goose populations naturally (raccoons, skunks, foxes, coyotes, crows, snakes, snapping turtles, hawks, eagles, and owls prey on goslings and/or adult geese)
The National Goose Protection Coalition has issued triple Gander Slander citations to the Beringer Commons Homeowners Association Board as well as the City of Urbana and Champaign County. Image: In Defense of Animals
In Defense of Animals’ National Goose Protection Coalition issues Gander Slander citations to decision-makers who opt for lethal measures when long-term, effective, nonlethal stewardship practices are readily available. The coalition was formed in 2019 to help concerned citizens stop goose cruelty in their communities.
Members of the public are encouraged to take action against goose cruelty in Urbana-Champaign:
- Take action to stop future Beringer Commons goose slaughters
- Take action to stop future Urbana goose massacres
Learn more and find nonlethal goose stewardship strategies at: www.stopgooseabuse.org
Lisa Levinson, firstname.lastname@example.org, 215-620-2130
In Defense of Animals is an international animal protection organization based in California with over 250,000 supporters and a 38-year history of fighting for animals, people, and the environment through education and campaigns, as well as hands-on rescue facilities in India, South Korea, and rural Mississippi. www.idausa.org/geese
### ENDS ###